Annual Global Conference on Disability and Islam 2021
CALL FOR PRESENTERS/JOURNAL ABSTRACT: DEEN’S GLOBAL CONFERENCE ON DISABILITY AND ISLAM (GCDI)
– September 25th, 2021 –
**CALL FOR PRESENTERS HAS CLOSED**
PROGRAM BOOKLET GCDI 2021
The 2021 GCDI theme is “Nothing About Us Without Us” and focuses on the importance of having persons with disabilities at the forefront of policy and decision making. DEEN is dedicating this conference to putting the voices of people with disabilities and their families first. The voices of people with disabilities were lost during the pandemic and we want to ensure that Muslims with Disabilities have a safe space where they can discuss the intersectionality of Disability and Islam. We want to listen to voices from all over the world and try to close the gaps that separate us. Therefore, your participation is important to make the conference a success.
The goal is to bring together leaders in the Muslim community and people with disabilities and families to raise awareness, highlight their concerns and offer solutions that best suit their needs. We hope this year’s conference will encourage people to go a step further and implement and build on what they learn from each other.
WHO SHOULD PRESENT?
We invite academics, advocates, professionals, Islamic scholars, and people with lived experiences of disability to submit proposals for topics related to this year’s theme as well as a description of their presentation. As a presenter you have an opportunity to inspire delegates from around the world to take action and to improve the lives of Muslims with Disabilities.
CONFERENCE PROPOSAL TOPICS
- Matrimonial services, Disability, and Islam
- Disability and Islamic Spiritual Practice
- Inclusion of Muslims with Disabilities in Muslim Spaces
- Developmental Disability and Music Rehabilitation
- Quran Memorization and People with Disabilities
- Arts/Culture for Muslim with Disabilities
- Parenting and Disability
- Zakat and People with Disabilities
- Domestic Violence and Muslims with Disabilities
- Leadership and Muslim with Disabilities
- Employment, Social Enterprises and Entrepreneurship
- Fiqh Issues related to Disability
- Sports and Recreation and Muslim with Disabilities
- Islamic Scholarship and Muslims with Disabilities
- Islamic Law and Disability (inheritance, custody, etc.)
- Mental Health and Healing
Presentations may be in the following formats:
|Speaker Presentation||15 mins||A presentation with 5 minutes for Q&A|
|Expert-led discussion panel||45 mins||An in-depth discussion among 3 member experts, introduced briefly and led by 1 moderator expert in the subject discussed.|
|Poster/Video/Poetry||5 – 10 mins||To introduce and feature|
All proposals should include the following information:
- Title of your proposal
- Brief summary (not more than 200 words)
- Name(s) and other details of the proposed speaker(s), moderator, or author(s)
- Presentation format of your contribution
- The topic that best fits your paper
Important – Please Read
- All presentation proposals are subject to acceptance by the GCDI 2021 Committee.
- The selection of presentations will be made by August 20, 2021.
- Presenters will receive their notification via email after this selection.
- We reserve the right to propose to the presenters to use a different format.
- All presenters will be required to register for the event
- All presentations will be in the English language
- Presentations will normally be scheduled in the time zone that best matches the presenters’ countries. However, we may ask some presentations to shift to other time zones to create a balanced program.
- All presentations may be recorded via audiovisual media and photos. If you explicitly would like to avoid this, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org
- By submitting the form below, you confirm that you have read and agreed to the terms stated on this page.
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR PROPOSAL
Enter details of your proposed presentation for the GCDI 2021 conference by filling out this form: GCDI Proposal Form
Remember to press the ‘Submit my presentation proposal’ button located at the bottom of the page. You will receive a confirmation email upon successful completion of the form. If you have any accessibility concerns or need help completing this form, please email us at email@example.com
CALL FOR ABSTRACT SUBMISSIONS: JOURNAL ON DISABILITY AND ISLAM, VOL 2
We will be launching the Journal on Disability and Islam at the Global Conference on Sept 25. We are seeking submissions for articles for Volume 2. All submitted papers will have the opportunity to be considered for publication. Enter details of your proposed abstract submission here: Journal Abstract Submission Form
August 20, 2021 Presenter/Abstract Submission Deadline
August 31, 2021 Notification of Acceptance/Rejection for Conference Submission
Sept 7, 2021 Final Presentation
Oct 25, 2021 Final Journal Submission
Sept 25, 2021 Conference Date
Please contact Rafia Haniff-Cleofas, Conference Coordinator, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
2020 Conference Outcomes
- The first issue of DEEN’s annual Journal on Disability and Islam. All submitted papers will be considered for publication. Paper selection for the journal will be based upon peer review and conference presentation.
- Launch of DEEN’s Global Network on Disability and Islam that will bring together service providers, academics, researchers, Islamic scholars, individuals with lived experience of disability, and disability advocates. The goal of this network is to continue dialogues initiated at the conference and provide opportunities for global learning and peer-support.
- To join the global network, CLICK HERE
GDIC 2020 Media Coverage:
Global Conference on Disability and Islam to Take Place Virtually – by AboutIslam.net
First Global Conference on Disability and Islam: Interview With Disability Activist Rafia-Haniff Cleofas – by MuslimLink.ca
Disability and Islam – Interview with DEEN CEO Rabia Khedr – by the Pulse on AMI-audio (via Apple Podcasts)
For media inquiries, please contact
Rabia Khedr: (email@example.com | (905) 270-9679
Rafia Haniff-Cleofas: ( firstname.lastname@example.org | (647) 836-3461)
We are honoured to have the support of the following organizations: